Abbey Carver is Growing in the Mesilla Valley

Abbey Carver’s farm, Brazito Farms, is nestled in a beautiful little area surrounded by houses, fields, and the quintessential Southern New Mexico pecan orchards. It’s quiet despite being close to a main thoroughfare for the southern portion of the Mesilla valley. The view of the Organ Mountains to the east is stunning. The morning of our interview with her was a hot, summer day. She was already out working hard to get the weeds out of the back corner of one of her plots, and she couldn’t have been happier. Here’s a transcript of our wonderful interview with her!

NMDA: What inspired you to get involved in agriculture?

Abbey: I grew up on a pecan farm out here in the valley and so I was always out helping my dad irrigate, and working in the field and the garden with him, so I knew I wanted to do something outside. I went to NMSU. I graduated with a degree in horticulture but when I was a sophomore I still didn’t even know what I wanted to do. I got an internship at the local Mountain View Market Co-op farm because it sounded like a fun internship to do outside and after I finished that I was like this is exactly what I want to do! Growing food is so satisfying so I knew I wanted to continue that.

NMDA: What’s a typical day for you?

Abbey: Well right now since I’m in the beginning stages, just a lot of weeding. I’ve been mowing. I try not to do as much cultivating because I’m going for organic certification and I’m trying to keep my soil as healthy as it can be so I’m trying not to disturb it. But I do a lot of hoeing, mostly weeding right now and I’m getting the irrigation system set up. I’m going to have a drip irrigation system, but we had to start from the well. I’ll eventually plant and have a more normal farm day ahead of me.

NMDA: What are your long term goals in agriculture?

Abbey: I definitely want to continue farming vegetables and supplying the community with food. I think that there’s a lot of farms out here but not as much vegetable and fruit production. I kind of have aspirations to open up a farm to table restaurant and tap room with my partner. I think that would be awesome to be able to supply that, and other restaurants, with locally grown vegetables!

NMDA: What advice do you have for young people who want to get involved in agriculture?

Abbey: I say do an internship, or go visit a farm, and do what you can first before you really get involved so you can see what it takes to be out there. I would advise them to do it though, it’s so much fun and it’s so rewarding.

NMDA: If you could have five minutes with an influential policy maker either at the state or federal level what would you like to discuss with them?

Abbey: I would like to talk about organic certification. Being a young farmer and getting into it right away, not transitioning to it, it’s kind of a big task to go organic. It takes a lot more money up front and just so many down payments. I think the rules are a little shaky right now to get organically certified, but I know they’re getting better and everything’s getting worked out. I just think it should be easier to grow organic food.

Photo Credit: Brazito Farms Facebook

If you want to find out more about Brazito Farms, you can find the farm on social media here:

Brazito Farms Facebook
Brazito Farms Instagram